Illawarra Folk Club
HOUSE CONCERT - SHELLHARBOUR
SATURDAY 30 June, 1.30pm
Members $20 | Non-Members $25
Youth (12-16) $5 | Child (U12) free
includes Afternoon Tea
For further information and invite
email firstname.lastname@example.org or Ph 4297 1777 or 4296 2339
Strictly Limited to 40 so get in early
The Illawarra Folk Club has a history of inviting funny men to the Illawarra and there’s none funnier or more talented than Martin Pearson.
Martin Pearson claims to be 'The world’s funniest male, long-haired, Victorian, piscean folk singer'. Formerly of the act “Martin Pearson”, Martin rose to fame like a dead pigeon in a water tank. Martin plays the fool in B sharp.'
Martin is a very funny satirical performer. He has been amusing, even thrilling audiences around the globe for ages now, and if you haven't seen him live - you're missing out.
A global radio and web hit, “Cows With Guns” was #1 for the year on Dr. Demento, #2 on the Australian Country
charts, #1 in Seattle and spent six months on the Irish Top 40.
Dana was most recently inspired by the Kimberley Cane Toad Busters to write The Cane Toad Song, which he has uploaded to YouTube.
Bringing together a mix of comedy, ballads and love songs, Dana’s sharp wit and beautiful voice have him performing at concert halls, festivals, conventions, fundraisers and universities across the US and around the world. Dana’s music style includes a bit of everything; his biggest radio hit, “Cows With Guns,” receives crossover radio play on country, rock, alternative, community, college and oldies radio stations worldwide. He has eight releases to date, including his latest, Three Legged Coyote, released in November 2009.
Dana has toured in 46 of the 50 American states, around the East Coast of Australia and across Ireland, England, New Zealand, Mexico, Kazahkstan and Siberia. Dana performs at festivals ranging from Farm Aid with Willie Nelson and Neil Young to the Harley Davidson Festival in Sturgis, South Dakota where he shared the stage with
Lynyrd Skynyrd, Steppenwolf, Nazareth and Blue Oyster Cult. His policy of “I’ll play anywhere once” has landed Dana gigs on a tropical island in the Great Barrier reef of Australia, an Irish Pub in Beijing and the Hanford Nuclear Waste Dump in his home state of Washington.
Two of Dana’s songs have been made into award-winning illustrated books: Cows With Guns, published by Penguin (winner of the Bullitzer Prize), and The Tree, published by Illumination Arts. The Tree was endorsed by Dr. Jane Goodall, has forewards by Pete Seeger and Julia Butterfly Hill and has won numerous awards.
Dana’s songs have been re-recorded by many artists, but perhaps his highest honor as a songwriter came when Pete Seeger called him to get the music for Dana’s song “I Am An Animal.” Dana has shared the stage with many notable performers including Willie Nelson, Neil Young, Dave Matthews, John Mellencamp, Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, Pete Sears of Jefferson Starship, Stephen Stills, River Phoenix, Nickel Creek, Country Joe McD onald, Utah Phillips and John Trudell.
Dana was born in Kingston, New York. He graduated from Swarthmore College in Pennsylvania. He lives in a nice garage in Bellingham, Washington, with his cat Oliver. His astrological sign is Taurus.
Illawarra Folk Concerts & Events
There is an amazing array of talent coming to Wollongong over the next few months! Illawarra Folk Club concerts are generally held 1st Fridays and 3rd Saturdays of each month except for December at CITY DIGGERS WOLLONGONG and in general start at 7.30pm with a mystery act, then a support act and then the main act..
- 16, 17 January 2013 - Illawarra Folk Festival Summer School, 2 days of classes
- 17-20 January - 2013 Illawarra Folk Festival
- FRIDAY 25 JANUARY, 7.30pm - Dom Flemons, George Mann, Rick Nestler & Rik Palieri (USA) Wongawilli Community Hall $15/$20
- FRIDAY 1 FEBRUARY, 7.30pm - Josefina Paulsson (Sweden) Nykelharp & Fiddle, Eric Erdman (USA) | City Diggers Wollongong
- SATURDAY 16 FEBRUARY, 7.30pm Vin Garbutt (UK), plus Enda Kenny | City Diggers Wollongong
BUY TICKETS ONLINE
- SUNDAY 24 FEBRUARY 3-5pm Good Tunes Session | Sanoma Food and Wine Shellharbour
- FRIDAY 1 MARCH, 7.30pm CD Launch Concert with Dani Karis, No Such Thing, Claire Roberts | City Diggers Wollongong
- SUNDAY 10 MARCH, 4pm Don’t Mention the Wall (Germany ) | Wongawilli Hall
- SATURDAY 16 MARCH, 7.30pm Ye Olde Folk Club & Illawarra Folk Festival Volunteer Thank You | Wongawilli Hall
- SUNDAY 24 MARCH 3-5pm Good Tunes Session | Sanoma Food and Wine Shellharbour
- TUESDAY 26 MARCH, 2pm House Concert - Himmerland Band(Denmark) | Minnamurra – bookings: info@illawarra folkclub.org.au
- FRIDAY 5 APRIL , 7.30pm Pukara (South American), The Thompsons | City Diggers Wollongong
BUY TICKETS ONLINE
- SATURDAY 20 APRIL , 7.30pm - Chippo Days, CJ Shaw, Maureen O'Brien | City Diggers Wollongong
- SUNDAY 28 MAY 3-5pm Good Tunes Session | Sanoma Food and Wine Shellharbour
- FRIDAY 3 MAY, 7.30pm - Ami Williamson, Marcus Sturrock | City Diggers Wollongong
- SATURDAY 18 MAY, 7.30pm - Chaika | City Diggers Wollongong
- FRIDAY 24 MAY, 7.30pm - Launch of the Dall' Italia All' Australia DVD with I Viaggiatori, support by The Con Artists | City Diggers Wollongong
- FRIDAY 31 MAY, 7.30pm - Eleanor McEvoy (Ire) | City Diggers Wollongong
- 7-10 JUNE 5th Perisher Snowy Mountains of Music - Join the Illawarra Folk Club tour
- SATURDAY 15 JUNE, 7.30pm - The Borderers (SA), | City Diggers Wollongong
- SUNDAY 23 JUNE 3-5pm Good Tunes Session | Sanoma Food and Wine Shellharbour more details
- SUNDAY 30 JUNE, 1.30pm - Martin Pearson | House Concert Shellharbour, call 4297 1777 to book
- FRIDAY 5 JULY, 7.30pm Dana Lyons (USA), John Flanagan | City Diggers Wollongong
- SATURDAY 20 JULY, 7.30pm - Hither and Yon, Shenanigans Barbershop Quartet | City Diggers Wollongong
- FRIDAY 2 AUGUST, 7.30pm - Wee Willi Fest Concert - Wongawilli, Colonial Dancers & friends | City Diggers Wollongong
- SATURDAY 17 AUGUST, 7.30pm - Songs of Henry Lawson with Christine Wheeler & Band | City Diggers Wollongong
- SATURDAY 19 OCTOBER, 7.30pm - Phil Garland (NZ), The Spouse Girls| City Diggers Wollongong
- FRIDAY 1 NOVEMBER, 7.30pm - Foghorn String Band (USA) | City Diggers Wollongong
- SATURDAY 16 NOVEMBER, 7.30pm - Danny Spooner, Penny Davies & Roger Ilott | City Diggers Wollongong
- FRIDAY 22 NOVEMBER, 7.30pm - The Battlefield Band (Scotland), Miles to Go Band (WA) | City Diggers Wollongong
- 27-29 SEPTEMBER - Folk by the Sea | Kiama more details
- 16-19 JANUARY 2014 29th Illawarra Folk Festival more details